Medieval Life in the news
£900,000 to study medieval poet
BBC News - Jan 12 12:05 AMResearchers land a grant of almost £900,000 to shine new light on a 500-year-old "giant" of Welsh poetry.
Medieval Faire this weekend in Lehigh
The News-Press - Jan 12 7:42 AMSword fighters, jousters, jugglers and armored knights on horses will be among those at Veterans Park in Lehigh Acres this weekend to entertain...
Shopping for a Villa, He Wound Up With a Village
New York Times - Jan 10 9:56 PMA house-hunting American ends up with an entire medieval village.
Italian scientists give Dante a makeover
AP via Yahoo! News - 51 minutes ago Dante Alighieri, traditionally portrayed as a stern figure with a large hooked nose, is now showing a softer side, thanks to a reconstruction of his face by Italian scientists.
- Medeival Life
Here is an article on Medieval Life.
An examination of the major themes in medieval life, from birth to death, from language to performing arts, Medival Life from country life to town life, from the structure of the universe to folktales.
- 1 Rural life
- 2 Town life
- 3 Religious Medeval Life life
- 4 Cultural life
- 4.1 Language Mediveal Life and literature
- 4.2 Education
- 4.3 Visual Medieal Life arts
- 4.4 Performance arts
- 4.5 Food
- 5 Stages Meideval Life of life
- 5.1 Childhood
- 5.2 Love, Sex and Marriage
- 5.3 Customs
- 5.4 Medicine
- 5.5 Death
- 6 Time
- 6.1 The Past
- 6.2 The Present
- 6.2.1 Rhythm of the day/week/month/year
- 6.3 The future
- 7 The World
- 7.1 Nature and the Universe
- 7.2 Other creatures
- 7.2.1 Animals
- 7.2.2 Angels and Demons
- 7.2.3 Mythical creatures
- Manorialism - Rural manor life.
- Medieval gardening
- Medieval hunting
- Medieval commune - Town defense.
- Guild - Town trade.
- Castle town
- Town and gown - Conflict between students and townspeople.
- Florilegium Urbanum Selection of primary source texts illustrative of various aspects of medieval urban life, in modern English.
- Slavery in medieval Europe
- Rule of St Benedict - Daily rituals of a monk.
- Culture of the United Kingdom
- History of British society
Language and literature
- Medieval Latin - The unifying language of high culture.
- Medieval literature
- Medieval poetry
- Medieval university
- Medieval art
- Medieval architecture
- Medieval music
- Medieval theatre
Stages of life
This section looks at the major life stages and how they were expressed in medieval society, from birth to childhood, marriage, old age, sickness and death.
- William (name) - Example of medieval naming patterns.
Love, Sex and Marriage
- Book of the Civilized Man
This section examines the nature of time in medieval society, from how people saw the past, to the rhythms of the day, week, month and year in the present, to how people saw and predicted the future.
- English historians in the Middle Ages - How English historians saw and wrote about the past.
Rhythm of the day/week/month/year
- Six Ages of the World
- Medieval astrology
Medieval people saw the physical and spiritual world around them in a very different way than we do today.
Nature and the Universe
- Alchemy in Medieval Europe
- T-O map
Angels and Demons
- Medieval revenants - Those who returned from the dead.
- Medieval Christian views on witchcraft